Foods to Avoid
- Raw meats
- Hard/Treated or cooked bones
- Pig ear treats or other pork products
- Any over the counter pain relievers or human medications (check with veterinarian first)
Avoid any chew toys that are harder than your dog’s teeth. This includes: bones, hooves, and nylabones etc, as these can cause serious damage to teeth and gums. Instead choose a chew that has a little give.
Avoid balls and toys with a felt (tennis ball) outer coating. Frequent chewing of such material causes wearing of the tooth’s enamel, which can eventually lead to serious dental troubles.
- Kong- this is a strong rubber toy that can be filled with various food substances for long term occupation of your pup. We recommend filling with peanut butter and freezing overnight.
- Everlasting Treat ball
- Rubber balls with no tennis ball coating
- Soft Frisbees
- Stuffed animals- Be sure they have no small parts that can be ingested, and monitor your pup when at play to prevent the ingestion of stuffing.
- Raw hide chews – These are not for every dog. Please monitor your pup when a raw hide treat is offered to ensure he/she is chewing it, not ingesting large pieces.